- NAME IN FULL: ’Raheem Adebayo LAWAL BIRTH: 12th May, 1958
- MARITAL STATUS: Married
- NUMBER AND AGES
OF CHILDREN: 3 children; 36, 32 and 29 years, respectively
7a. DEPARTMENT: Arts Education,
University of Ilorin, P.M.B. 1515,
b. ASSOCIATE DEPARTMENTS:
(Cooperative Teaching and Research)
(i) Department of English
(ii) Department of Linguistics and Nigerian Languages
B. (I) PRESENT STATUS
1. Present Status Professor 2. Date of Last Promotion/Present Appointment 1st October, 1998
B. UNIVERSITIES ATTENDED (with dates)
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria 1980-1982
- University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria 1984-1989
C. ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL DEGREES
a. B. Ed. Language Arts (Upper Second Class Division)
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria Aug. 1982
b. M. Ed. (English) Language, Education
University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria Sep. 1985
c. Ph.D. Language Education
University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria March 1989
D. HONOURS, DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS
- Best student in the 1984/85 M. Ed. Language Education programme (French, Arabic, English and Mother-tongue options), Department of Teacher Education, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
- Two of my poems selected as being among the best entries in the 1988 BBC (Arts and Africa) Poetry Competition, London, UK.
- 1995 Nominee to the Annual Dunford Seminar on Language and Development (The British Council, Manchester, UK).
- 1998 Elva Knight Research Award recipient, International Reading Association (IRA) (Now International Literacy Association-ILA) Newark, Delaware, U.S.A.
- Distinguished Graduate Award, Department of Teacher Education, University of Ibadan, 1999.
- Fellow of the Institute of Corporate Administration, 2013.
- 2019 Africa Outstanding Professor Award, Africa Brands Review.
E. MEMBERSHIP OF LEARNED/PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Reading Association of Nigeria – RAN
- International Literacy Association – ILA
- Linguistic Association of Nigeria – LAN
- Nigeria English Studies Association – NESA
- Association of Nigerian Authors – ANA
- Curriculum Organisation of Nigeria – CON
- Nigeria Association of Language Educators – NALE
F. LECTURING EXPERIENCE SINCE BASIC QUALIFICATION
- Department of English, St. Andrew’s College of Education, Oyo (October 1983 – March 1990)
- Department of Teacher Education, University of Ibadan, Teaching Assistant (October 1987 – October 1989).
- Institute of Education, Department of Curriculum Studies & Educational Technology, and Department of Arts Education, University of Ilorin (March 1990 to Date)
G. KEY ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE/SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY (WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM)
- Chairman, Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), UNILORIN, 1995 – 1997.
- Foundation President, Nigeria Association of Language Educators (2001 – 2005).
- DIRECTOR, Institute of Education, University of Ilorin) (July 2001 – August 2004)
- HEAD OF DEPARTMENT, Arts and Social Sciences Education, University of Ilorin, (August 2005-August 2006).
- DEAN, Faculty of Education, University of Ilorin (August 1st 2006 – July 31st 2008).
- Foundation DEAN, College of Education Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin (September, 2008 – January 2009).
- DIRECTOR, General Studies Directorate, IBB University Lapai, (December 2009 – September 2010)
- DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR (ACADEMIC), University of Ilorin, (June 2012 – June 2014)
- Chairman, Strategic Planning and Implementing Committee, University of Ilorin (July 2018 to Date)
- Chairman, Inter-religious Committee, University of Ilorin (June 2019 to Date)
H. TEACHING AND RESEARCH INTERESTS
1. Language Education 2. Applied linguistics
I. PUBLICATIONS: over 90 publications in home-based, national and international peer-reviewed outlets.
J. Ph.D. THESES SUCCESSFULLY SUPERVISED TO COMPLETION: Twenty-seven (27)